HON DANIEL ANDREWS MP
Leader of the Opposition
ANTHONY CARBINES MP
Labor Member for Ivanhoe
Tuesday, 29 July, 2014
ONLY LABOR WILL UPGRADE VIEWBANK COLLEGE WITH $11.5 MILLION
Victorian Labor will upgrade Viewbank College, Leader of the Opposition, Daniel Andrews, announced today.
Mr Andrews joined Labor Member for Ivanhoe, Anthony Carbines, and Shadow Minister for Education, James Merlino, to deliver the news to parents and teachers.
Labor’s $11.5 million plan will build a new performing arts centre, music classrooms and administration facilities.
Quotes attributable to Mr Andrews:
“Parents and teachers have been calling for an upgrade but Denis Napthine isn’t listening.”
“Only Labor will upgrade Viewbank College, so our kids get the best start.”
Quotes attributable to Mr Carbines:
“As a former Viewbank College student, I know first-hand the fantastic educational opportunities it offers, and as the local member I am proud that Labor can give something back to this great local college.”
“Under the Liberals, our local schools are falling apart and our kids are falling behind.”
“Labor’s plan to build new music and drama facilities will help students do so much more.”
• The college council rated this project its number one priority – which has fully costed plans.
• Viewbank’s music and drama program is a large draw card for families in the region. The college’s annual musical has completely sold out this year, with ‘Hairspray’ starting this week.
• Viewbank College has about 1200 students however it has not received funding for new buildings for over 20 years.
• The Napthine Government abandoned Labor’s plan to renovate, rebuild or modernise every Victorian government school.
• The Napthine Government has only spent a state-wide average of $278 million a year on capital works compared to an average spend of $467 million by Labor in its last term in office.