Australia Day: Jagajaga federal electorate
I rise to address the house about the 2011 Jagajaga community Australia Day awards. These awards were hosted by our local federal member for Jagajaga, the Honourable Jenny Macklin, MP. For nearly 20 years these awards have recognised the outstanding contribution of many citizens in our community, including the Ivanhoe electorate. Award recipients are nominated by their peers, and I was pleased to attend the awards ceremony at the Heidelberg town hall last month.
Today I pay tribute to two members of the Olympic Village Combined Pensioners Association, Don Carr and Elaine Medley. The citation for Elaine Medley reads as follows:
- Elaine is an important member of the Olympic Village Combined Pensioners Association and is known as a quiet achiever who always extends a supporting hand to those around her.
- Elaine acts as a highly efficient treasurer for the club and is always contributing her time to their many and varied social events.
- Admired in her local community for her spirit of friendship and caring nature, Elaine is especially famous for her Shrove Tuesday pancake tossing.
Don Carr’s citation reads:
- Don Carr is known as ‘the handyman’ to the members of the Olympic Village Combined Pensioners Association, because he is always willing to lend a hand.
- Don has been a member of the association for eight years, extending his caring nature to visiting club members in hospital, escorting members to medical appointments and helping members who catch the bus to and from meetings.
- Don loves a chat, and his colleagues love his compassionate and understanding company.
I congratulate Don Carr and Elaine Medley. They are a credit to their club and its members. I pay tribute to all award recipients of the 2011 Jagajaga community Australia Day awards. The Ivanhoe electorate is a better place for their dedication and hard work.